14.12.12

Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses

This past weekend I went to see the beautiful touring show centered around one of my favourite games: Legend of Zelda! It was absolutely amazing, and featured local musicians versus their own touring orchestra and a high school choir, which just made it that much more moving.



I decided to put together an outfit inspired by Legend of Zelda. A lot of people thought I was being fem!Link, but that really wasn't my aim. I just wore things that bore the kind of aesthetic that has been around in most of the games and mixed it with my regular fashion. I wore Charles Crown since it is a beautiful deep green (and the crowns just seemed so fitting when I thought about Zelda), a circlet I purchased from a Renaissance Faire, and Legend of Zelda jewelry from the Etsy shop LicketyCut.


I even painted some Triforce nails to match~ (Excuse the shitty cell-phone picture, my nails were pretty much destroyed by the time I went to the concert so I don't have nicer qual photos, waahhh.)

The only thing directly influenced by something a character wore was the quickly improvised Windwaker belt I made, modeled after the one Toon Link (or the Link from the "Adult Link" timeline) wears!

I'm going to go ahead and share the set list after the cut since they have pretty much completed their tour for 2012 and will more than likely change their set list a bit for next year. =)



For me, I've always been a big butt when it comes to franchises changing rapidly over the course of the last few years (don't even get me started on Final Fantasy), so it was a huge plus for me that this concert was really a very nostalgic outlet. This year marks 25 years of Legend of Zelda, and the set list wanted to go through and address all the classics!


They barely played any music from Skyward Sword, which surprised me because that entire soundtrack was composed for an orchestra, but they spent a lot of time on Windwaker, which by far is my favourite game from the franchise. The conductor even pulled out an actual Windwaker for the Windwaker movement, it was amazing!!


I was pretty disappointed in the number of people who showed up cosplaying. =( I thought there would be a lot more, but at least I was able to run into one of my favourite little Links, Saya Loura! Her family buckled down and helped her make the entire outfit, and they are all so sweet. I actually helped run her first convention and judged her first cosplay contest! It's really an honour to welcome someone so sweet into the convention community.


There was an awesome Zant cosplayer off to the side, but I just couldn't get a good photo of him because people just kept leaping in front of me. D= The whole place was kind of in disarray. But I did get an awesome picture of the Tingle and Navi gijinka that were there!

There was also a whopping three encores at the end of the performance, and the fans on the forums had voted for one of them to be a Majora's Mask arrangement!! Definitely the whackiest game of them all.

The whole concert really inspired me to sit down and give Twilight Princess a second try--I really had trouble getting into it when it first came out, but now I think it'll probably appeal more to my tastes.


During intermission I picked up their "Combo Pack" of souvenirs, which is the T-shirt and poster! I love the little detail on the sleeve. I was really hoping they'd have more merchandise, but I am happy with what I have~ I'm pretty terrible with putting up posters though, I need to be better about these things!


All in all, it was a spectacular concert and I definitely want to go again next year. Hopefully I can also make it to Distant Worlds too, and then my video game orchestra attendance will be complete. ♥

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the outfit! <33

    I've got an American friend who went to that recently too (wonder if it was the same venue?) but it looks like you had a lovely time ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noor! =D

      It toured all over the US in a pretty short span of time, so there's a pretty good chance it wasn't the same place. But if it was, that's awesome!! It was such a great experience. *A*

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately I have no idea about Zelda XD You look really beautiful in Charles Crown though!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you should definitely give the games a try! They are amazing, and the later games have such moving storylines. *A*

      Thank you! =D I was thinking of selling Charles Crown for a long time because the bodice sat a little awkwardly on me, but I ended up keeping it around for this event! I think I may end up selling it at this point though--I want to hunt down the IW Emblem print!

      Delete
    2. Oo moving storylines ay? What platform do you play it on? (yes I am that clueless xD)

      I think it sits really nicely on you but fair enough wanting to hunt down IW Emblem... it's so amazing. I'd love to find it in bordeaux myself.

      Delete
    3. Well, they are celebrating their 25th anniversary, so it's across a whole slew of platforms! My favourite game, Windwaker, was on the Game Cube though. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are the newest ones for consoles, and they're both on the Wii (although TP came out on the Game Cube as well.)

      There's also a bunch on Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance!!

      Yes, it is so gorgeous! I kick myself for not jumping on a few sales I saw for it years back... ;3; I just didn't buy much brand back when more people were reselling the Emblem print.

      Delete
  3. you look great! This print it fabulous ^^~

    I remember playing Zelda! I used to like it a lot <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! =D Legend of Zelda is great fun, I need to play more games and replay a few others. *A*

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh, you are the cutest ever

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled across your blog and it is AMAZING! I love your posts, your gorgeous outfits... everything~! Insta follow <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I am so flattered!! ;A; I hope you like my future updates!

      Delete
  6. avina, have you posted somewhere a list of the conventions you regularly attend/work at? i only started following you late this year, but i didn't know you were big into the con scene [aside from passing attendance, etc].

    please link! thanks :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clarisse! Nice to see you coming over from Tumblr, hehe~ I haven't posted them anywhere, but I don't mind telling you here. =)

      My con attendance has picked up for the first time this year since I nearly three to four years ago. I used to be a regular attendee at Jacon (when it still existed), Metrocon, and Anime Festival Orlando, although not so much anymore.

      I helped organise Miami HurriCon, which is held on University of Miami's campus. I can't really tell you what day they are planning on holding it this year because I have stepped down from my position there for the most part and will only step in to help if they need me since I graduated, hehe. I'll let you know when I know an exact date.

      I worked at GenCon this past year with Fable Streams, and will probably return to Megacon representing them yet again, although it will probably only be for part of a day given time constraints and budget. The rest of the time will in fact be a personal visit.

      There has been some plans being tossed around about going to Otakon and San Diego Comic Con though! I'd love to go next year. I also really want to try and go to PMX, but it's hard given the time of year for me.

      There is 80% chance of me going to Frill Convention in Atlanta (it's a con just for lolitas!) and Metrocon. =D

      Hope I was able to answer your question~

      Delete
  7. thank you for the detailed answer! i'm interested in going to Frill and SDCC as well (then again, when is going to SDCC ever a bad idea?)

    would you by chance be kind enough to post in advance if you are for sure heading to conventions this upcoming year? i'm sure not just myself but other readers would love to know if you are around at cons they attend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never is a bad idea. ;D

      I tend to tweet (@zuttoshoujo) about plans like that a lot more often, but I'll try and make some posts about cons I'm going to~ I'm really sure if anything I'll end up mentioning it in passing at some point. *A*

      But this actually reminds me to do my "year in review" blog post! It will go over all the cons I attended in the past--you may have spotted me already at some of the ones I went to this year. *A*

      Delete
  8. Lol I was the Zant cosplayer! XD I never knew I would find myself in a page like this, interesting. If you are going to any conventions you'll probably see me there. If anything, such as events, etc., here's my email: revmage@yahoo.com I'll be glad to join. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that's awesome that you found me!! How did you by the way??? =O I'm really curious to see how people end up finding my blog, and I want to attract more congoers to it since it really is a big passion of mine. *A*

      I'll definitely send you an e-mail so we can start chatting soon! Thanks for the comment~~

      Delete

Feel free to leave a question or a comment! =) I try to answer them as quickly as possible, so please check back!